Thursday, February 5, 2015

Book Haul!


So recently, I went on a bit of a book buying spree. I try to limit the amount of books that I purchase, but this month by budget got blown out of the water. Whoops. These are all books that I'm desperate to read, or have already read and loved. Besides, who doesn't love a book haul? No one, that's who.

The Darkest Part of the Forest by Holly Black. This new standalone from Holly Black was my most anticipated release of January. I've already read and reviewed this book, and you can check out my review here

The Dream Thieves and Blue Lily, Lily Blue by Maggie Stiefvater. The second and third installments of The Raven Cycle quartet. If you read my review of The Raven Boys, then you know how much I loved the first book in this series and how anxious I am to continue. Plus, Maggie just announced the title and release date for the final installment - The Raven King, out in September! I've fallen so in love with this series after just one book that I'm a bit worried for my poor heart by the end.

Fairest by Marissa Meyer. This newest release from Marissa Meyer is a prequel to her Lunar Chronicles series. A science fiction retelling of classic fairy tales that features cyborgs and space travel, Meyer's latest installment tells the story of the villain, Queen Levana. I'm really excited to read this, partly because I like to root for the bad guy (shocker). It also features some exciting extra content - the first three chapters of Winter, the final book in the Lunar Chronicles, out in November.

The Unbound by Victoria Schwab. The sequel to The Archived, The Unbound was released in paperback this month so I had to pick up a copy (because I like things to match, ok?). My love for this world and these characters is wholehearted and true. Sigh. I wish there was a third installment in sight! I have a review of The Unbound here, so check that out.

Gaudy Night by Dorothy L. Sayers. This book was a gift from my dear friend Lindsay. It's a murder mystery story that takes place when some Oxford alumni return to their old college for a Gaudy Night. I love the vintage cover style! I can't wait to read this and reminisce about our Oxford days.

The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath. Last year I read Belzhar by Meg Wolitzer, and the only positive thing I took from it was that I'm long overdue to read The Bell Jar. I love Plath's poetry, but never read her semi-autobiographical novel. When I saw this lovely cover at the bookstore, I knew it was time. I feel like this novel will really resonate with me, but because of certain themes (depression, suicide, etc.), I'll need to carefully decide when I read this. But so, so looking forward to it.

Vicious by V.E. Schwab. Do you ever put off reading a book because you know you'll love it so much? Maybe too much? That's what happened with Vicious. Victoria Schwab's first adult novel follows two friends-turned-enemies on their quest for power and superhuman abilities. I know, I can't believe it's taken me this long either. Victoria has a new book out at the end of February, A Darker Shade of Magic, and I fully intend to have this read by then.

What books did you purchase recently? Have you read any of the books mentioned above? Let me know!

2 comments:

  1. I just wrote a long comment but it got deleted! So, short version: The Bell Jar is fantastic, but can hit a little too close to home sometimes. The other books on your haul look great, especially Vicious and the other two Raven Boys books :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emily! I'm really looking forward to The Bell Jar - just have to make sure I'm in a positive mood when I do. I've already read Vicious and The Dream Thieves (reviews coming very soon), and they were great. Really different than I anticipated.

      Delete